Zantac Lawsuit


Researching drug company and regulatory malfeasance for over 16 years
Humanist, humorist

Thursday, April 19, 2012

In Search of Paxil Birth Defect Woman



During the Lyam Kilker Paxil birth defect trial it came to light that GlaxoSmithKline had, in 2001, received correspondence from a woman who was concerned that the termination of her baby after just six months gestation may have been down to the Paxil she was taking.

Doctors had recommended that the unnamed woman abort her child [a boy] after he was diagnosed with Truncus arteriosis, congenital heart disease.

In an email to GlaxoSmithKline she writes:


“I wanted to know if you could direct me to any information you might have of any woman that has taken Paxil and still had healthy babies. My husband and I are ready to try again to get pregnant in the next month or two. I am so nervous. I don’t want to stop taking my miracle pill. But, then again, if there is a chance that this might hurt or affect the baby I want to know upfront. And I will somehow stop taking it for the time being.
 “Please contact me as soon as possible. I love everything this drug has done for me. I am so thankful that your company had this available for me. I just want to continue to have a normal life and have the child that I always wanted. Please contact me as soon as possible.
 “Please don’t forget about me, Thank you.”

The response from Glaxo was typical, inas much as they told her to 'talk to her doctor'.

Meantime, internal documents showed that Glaxo officials were 'almost certain' Paxil had caused her unborn child to develop heart defects. Once again, in typical Glaxo fashion, they kept this to themselves.

Due to legal reasons the woman's name never came to light in the Kilker trial. The only people that know her full name are GlaxoSmithKline.

Internationally respected psychiatrist, psychopharmacologist, scientist, and author, Professor David Healy, is now trying to find this woman.

More about the email she sent to GlaxoSmithKline HERE




Fid


ORDER THE PAPERBACK 'THE EVIDENCE, HOWEVER, IS CLEAR...THE SEROXAT SCANDAL' By Bob Fiddaman US and CANADA HERE OR UK HERE


AUSTRALIAN ORDERS HERE



No comments:


Please contact me if you would like a guest post considered for publication on my blog.